It seems like with so many people owning blogs that there isn’t a way to be successful. That isn’t true! If you have a blog or are thinking about starting a blog, there are just a few things you need to keep in mind to be successful. You can go about making your blog a success in 2020.
Find a Niche
First, it is essential to pick a niche or small area on which to focus your writing. It may seem to make sense at first to write about as many things as you can to widen your audience, but that is not effective in the long run.
Picking a niche means that you can sell yourself as an expert in that field. If you are writing about a variety of subjects, especially before you start building an audience, your blog will seem disjointed. Readers will also be disappointed when they come to your blog for a specific purpose only to find no other articles or products that match their interests.
When you focus your blog in one area of expertise, then you can more effectively build a loyal reader base. This means you can start to build an email list and offer products or services consistent with your audience’s interests.
Cultivate a Brand
Along with picking a narrow niche, you also need to create a consistent brand for everything you will be designing. Your brand is how people will recognize your logos, pictures, articles, and products across multiple platforms. It gives your business a cohesive feel.
Your brand will include things like color schemes, tone of voice, and photography style. It would be best if you thought about the community you are trying to create when designing your brand. It would help if you also thought about your ideas and the feeling you want to promote within your blog. These things should align with your target demographic. Once you pick a style, make sure everything you do fits into that brand.
Pick a Platform
Now that you have a vision for what you want your blog a success to be, you can start making it come to life! That means you need a hosting site and blogging platform. Luckily these things are usually bundled together. One of the most popular platforms is WordPress, but there are others. Hosting sites will often allow you to choose from the top platforms when you sign up for hosting with them. Be sure to shop around and find a hosting site that will work for your vision.
Once you start to build your blog a success, you will need to think about plug-ins to install. Plug-ins can do may things from check for grammar, increase SEO, protect against scammers and hackers, or help build an email list. You don’t have to install plug-ins while building your site, but having some going from the beginning can be helpful. You can always alter them or add them to the list later.
If you are like most people, you are trying to monetize your blog to earn a little extra income. Successful blogs don’t just rely on one income from their business, but incorporate several different income streams. Get to know the different kinds of revenues made from blogs and pick a couple to focus on at the beginning.
- Advertisements are an easy way to add a little income to your blog a success that doesn’t require you to do much. This is typically done through Google, but there are other places you can sign up as well. The catch with this is that you earn money based on page views, so you will not earn money until people start visiting your page. This is still a good idea to get started with at the beginning of your blog because then you don’t have to think about it anymore.
- Sponsored Posts and reviews take a little more work on your part. This requires that you reach out to companies that have products that align with your brand and audience. You pitch them ideas you have for promoting their products, and in return, they will usually send you some products for free or pay you. This usually takes the form of a blog post where you talk about the product and promote it or a video in which you do the same.
- Products or Services can also be offered directly through your blog. You can come up with a product or service to provide your audience that they can purchase through you. This might include an eBook, workbooks, courses, physical products, or consulting. The possibilities are endless and should align with your brand and audience so you can promote it regularly. If you are planning on this, you should design your website with a shop in it for making purchases. People are much less likely to buy a product if they have to leave your website to purchase it.
- Affiliate Programmes are a little like sponsored posts, but the exchange is not a flat rate for a specified number of words of promotion. The most popular affiliate program is through Amazon. Once you have an affiliate account, you have access to particular links on their website for most of their products. Then if you are writing a blog post where you use or talk about a product, you can embed the affiliate link in your text. Then if a visitor to your site clicks on the link and goes to Amazon, you get a small percentage of any purchases they make while there, even if they don’t buy the product that was initially linked. This is also an excellent way for bloggers or companies to promote their products, so you could also look for opportunities to do that. You could also offer affiliate programs for your products or services if you would like more exposure.
SEO and Marketing
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and marketing are so important for blogs. If no one sees your blog a success, then you cannot be successful. There are a lot of things that go into SEO, so get yourself familiar with all the different aspects.
- Keywords are specific words that people will most likely search for when trying to find a post relevant to your blog. When you write a post, you should do keyword research to find a prominent keyword to focus your post around. Once you have a keyword, you will want to use it in the title of your post, as well as a couple of times in your post. It should sound natural and make sense.
- Speed up your site. Search engines will rank websites lower if they take too long to load. There are places online that will check your website’s speed and then give you feedback on things to change to speed it up to improve your score.
- Alternate text for an image is not visible descriptors for any pictures on your blog. This will increase your SEO ranking because they are used for vision-impaired website viewing. It doesn’t have to be anything intricate, just a few descriptive words about what is in the picture so someone who cannot see the image can listen to what is in it.
- Link your post to other websites in your blog posts. You want to link out of your website to a couple of different websites in each of your posts. They should be links to credible websites that are relevant to your post. This validates your website’s authenticity.
- Backlink to your website. This means you should include a link in each of your posts to a post you have already published on your blog. This not only helps with your SEO ranking but will also boost your page views and building an audience.
These are just a few of the different aspects of SEO. It is overwhelming, but don’t give up! Once you learn it, it gets easier. Even if you are a professional at SEO, you should still look into finding an SEO agency to help boost your numbers even more.
You also need to think seriously about social media. Social media is where most blogs pull in their traffic, so you need a presence. Starting with all the different social media platforms is overwhelming, so pick two to focus on and then build from there. Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, and Instagram are all great places to start. Think about your target demographic and where they spend the majority of their time online. Those are going to be the platforms where you focus should start.
Lastly, you want your readers to feel like they belong to a part of a community. Try to engage with your audience as much as you can on your website through email newsletters and commenting on blog posts. Respond to emails. Create social media groups where readers can interact with you and other readers. If they feel like they are a part of your blog a success, they will keep coming back.
This may seem a lot to handle if you are just getting started, but remember to start small. You don’t have to be successful overnight, so give yourself time to learn and grow. Finding a blogging group or support network is a great way to find help and learn new things as well.
Thanks for stopping by today, I hope you’ve enjoyed this post.