**This post may contain affiliate links.
I have been meaning to write this post on tips for leaving the house with a newborn for a while.
Baby girl is 6 months old and leaving the house has got much slicker. We have our own routine now and she knows to wait and be patient while I pop to the loo!
Right at the very beginning, well 6 weeks after baby girl was born ( I had a c-section so wasn’t allowed to drive for 6 weeks) it used to take us 2 hours to get out of the house. I would throw my clothes onand have a quick spray of deodorant.
Then there was the preparation of getting baby girl ready. I call it preparation because I used to prepare my self for any unexpected event that would put us behind.
Haha… yes those poonami’s is what I’m taking about.
That sudden poo nappy that explodes everywhere resulting in a complete wash and change of clothes. Then because I have changed her nappy she wants a feed. Time just disappears and all of a sudden you are two hours late.
It takes us only an hour now to sort ourselves out. So long as I’ve been organised and kept the change bag up to date and refilled the nappies, wipes and bibs along with lots of other bits and pieces I normally need.
But going back to that first time out, it was very scary on my own. I only went to mum and dads. So I knew she wasn’t going to starve in a 20 minute car journey! Nonetheless I was a bag of nerves.
I am now responsible for this little being.
Oh and I’m glad my husband filled up the car with diesel with me to last me a while as well, because what do you do when you need to go in to pay for fuel?
Do you leave baby in car? or do you drag baby in car seat into the garage with you?
I haven’t had to do this yet as I have gone out to fill the car up when the husabnd is home. But I think I would take the baby in with me.
So these are my 7 tips that I have learned from my own experiences of leaving the house with a newborn.
- Make the visit quick, unless you are going to parents. When I got to mine I just relaxed, put my feet up and let my mum spoil me. Oh and my 87 year old dad make me a fried egg and bacon sandwich!
- Avoid crowded spaces – I hate big crowds as it is. So my worst nightmare is to be in the middle of a crowd with a baby.
- Pack changing bag in advance – so you don’t forget anything in a mad panic rush when you are trying to get out the door! Oh and re-pack when you get in ready for the next trip out.
- Don’t stress if you are late leaving the house – Before I had baby girl I was always on time. Now it’s a struggle, but I have learned not to worry and we will get there eventually.
- If you are heading for an appointment make it after 11am – its hard to get 2 of you dressed and organised.
- Don’t forget baby formula if you are bottle feeding. If you breast feed maybe look up some breastfeeding friendly places. I know my local Mothercare has a fantastic little feeding and changing room.
- If you leave the house fully dressed and showered consider it a successful mission.
These are the things I have learnt as a first time mum to a newborn.
Do you have any of your own tips for leaving the house with a newborn?