Top tips for explaining to a two year old they are getting a sibling
- Take your 2 year old along to your antenatal appointments. – I have been doing this all the way along with my daughter. She loves to hear the baby’s heartbeat.
- Explain to them that they are gaining a new playmate and all the fun things they can do together when they are older.
- Stay positive and involve your toddler in the baby preparations. Make them feel involved.
- Visit friends with small babies to help them adjust to the size of a baby.
- Explain to them that when they baby is here they can hold their hand and sing to them.
- Talk to your toddler and show them their baby photos, explain how they have grown up. Explain to them how excited you were at their arrival.
- Let your toddler place their head on your tummy and stroke and talk to the baby. – My daughter does this all the time and the baby reacts to her voice by moving!
- Most of all reassure them that they will still be loved, and still have time for cuddles and playtime. Don’t let them feel left out.
We have bought a couple of gifts and a book for baby girl that she will get from her baby sister when shes here. I want her to feel that she’s not left out amongst all the excitement. Since I finished work she has got mighty clingy to me and I can’t bare to upset her when the baby arrives. This is the most time I have spent with her since I returned to work when she was 8 months old.
Thanks for stopping by today, I hope you will find these tips useful on explaining to a two year old they are getting a sibling.