The Summer sparks birthday season in our family, with no less than 5 birthdays coming up in the next couple of months. I have been trying to get ahead making plans for parties, presents and other arrangements, we have a 6th birthday and a 40th amongst them!
What does a birthday party mean to you?
For me a birthday party is a chance to get family and friends together, to celebrate. Last year it was my mother-in-law’s 70th and we put on a little surprise afternoon tea party for her. Lots of cakes, sandwiches and picky bits, accompanied by strawberries, cream and scones. She was absolutely delighted!
I have come up with some top tips to help you plan a surprise birthday party to make it as stress free as possible. The tips can be applied to adult and children’s birthday parties.
- Budget – Before you start planning, have a budget in mind. This will help you to keep in control of everything.
- Place – Where do you want to hold the party? At home, village hall, local attraction? Is it easy for everyone to get to? Facilities available?
- Guest List and Invitations – You need to know approximately how many guests you have coming to put on enough food and drink. Plus you need people to help you to keep the plans away from the birthday boy/girl.
- Theme – Are you having a theme for the party? Sometimes it’s easier to start off with a theme in mind so you can arrange the birthday cake, invitations, fancy dress, games etc.
- Party Favours – Are you arranging party bags? Cute little personalised miniatures as gifts for adults make great party favours.
- Food – As a foodie, this one is majorly important for me. I love to put on a fantastic spread of food, catered for all dietary requirements. At kids parties I’m sure all they want is the cake and ice cream!
- Entertainment – What sort of entertainment are you looking for? Is it based around the theme of the party? Games, music, crafts, clown? If you need to pre-book entertainment do it as soon as possible plus always have a back up in case of let downs.
- Birthday Cake – Most important of course! If you are having a cake especially made, make sure it’s ordered in plenty of time and you know when you are picking it up before the party.
What are your top tips for planning a surprise birthday party?
Thanks for stopping by today.
*This is a collaborative post