The Summer holidays are here. The weather is hot and sunny and the days long. If you are thinking of taking advantage of these hot days and taking a driving holiday, whether it be in the UK or driving across the channel abroad your car needs to be in tip top condition. Did you know that in the Summer, the heat can cause extra stress on your car? In fact you can be so busy packing for the holiday that care for your car may be taken for granted. Having a regular MOT on your car can prevent unnecessary costs and give you a piece of mind as well of course it being the law!
Here are a few MOT and Summer car check tips to keep you and your family safe this Summer as well as other road users:
Summer Car Check Tips:
These are easy to check yourself:
- Wiper blades for wear or splitting
- Windscreen washer fluid level and brake fluid.
- Oil and coolant levels following the owner’s handbook
- The electric cooling fan – run the engine until it’s up to temperature and listen for the fan switching on
- All exterior and interior lights
- Tyre condition (inc. the spare if you have one) for correct pressures and legal tread depth. Current minimum legal tread depth for cars is 1.6mm
- Jack and wheel brace – make sure they’re in good working order.
- Check the horn works
- Make sure the car is clean. You can fail the MOT if the number plate is not visible by covered in dirt.
Take your car to the garage to check:
- Cooling system
- Auxiliary belt/fan belt
There is a legal penalty for driving without an MOT, plus you cannot get car insurance or tax your car without it. It’s your duty as a road user to ensure your car is MOT annually. To protect yourself, your car and other road users. Neglecting it is not worth the risk.
What’s included in a MOT?
Well a professional MOT test center like the MOT Hertfordshire from DAT Tyres branch can help you and they will perform the annual safety check properly.
- Doors and openings
- Exhaust and emissions
- Seats and seatbelts
- Tow bar
- Vehicle identification
- Wheels and tyres
- Windows and mirrors
An MOT takes between 45 minutes and 1 hour to carry out. After your car will either pass or fail. The three most common reasons for MOT failures are faults with lights, suspension and brakes. Getting a pre check on these may prevent a fail. My first car was really good at passing it’s MOT, but I’m very vigilant when it comes to car maintenance.
Pin for later:
Thanks for stopping by today, I hope you have found these MOT and Summer Car Check Tips useful.
*This is a collaborative post