When you have a child your life changes in ways you never could have imagined. Suddenly your full attention is on another human being. Everything you do is ultimately for them. Taking care of yourself often becomes secondary. But it’s not wise to completely set aside your own needs. Parents who are tired, ill, and unfulfilled will not be able to offer the best care for their child. So it makes sense to factor your own health and happiness into the equation.
New babies require lots of stuff. From the moment you found you were pregnant you probably started putting together a maternity checklist. But I bet it didn’t include items for parents. Consider setting up your own list of items to keep you fit, well, and happy during the early years. It needn’t cost a fortune; just a few items to make life a little easier.
- A few paperbacks for when the baby is sleeping, and you’re not
- Magazines to leaf through for the scarce 10-minute break
- Bath products for R&R
- Comfy lounge pants and slippers for 4:00 am feeds and the rest of day if needed
- List of Netflix and Prime films and series
- Healthy food and the odd treat
- Music playlist for quick workouts and relaxing