This weeks My Sunday Photo is of my favourite flower the Gerbera. This orange one has just popped out a few days ago on my kitchen windowsill.
When I’m standing over the sink washing the pots and pans I love to see the flowers on my windowsill. I also have my cactus on there and a succulent that my mum gave us when we moved in.
Come to think of it apart from the bedroom wi does all of the other windowsills have some type of house plant on them. My orchids
are at the back of the house as the front faces the sun too much in the Summer and it gets too warm for them. Here is my 7 Hints and Tips on Caring for Orchids .
I hope you have a lovely Bank Holiday weekend.
I love cacti. They are such an easy houseplant to look after. It doesn’t matter if you forget about them, for a week or two. They will still be there when you do remember you have them.
Here are my 7 simple Hints and Tips on caring for cacti.
These are my cacti and succulents that live in the kitchen. I have grown most of them from other plants over the past few years. I have accidently knocked some of the sprouting parts off at one time or another, and with those parts I have stuck them into a bit of cacti soil from the garden centre and off they grow! They have grown into the most weird unusual shapes.
Here are 7 hints and tips on how to care for your cacti:
- If they live inside like mine water them a little once week so they don’t dry out.
- Cacti prefer well drained soil with a mix of grit, phosphorous and nitrogen.
- Repot them once year if they are getting too big for their pots and to replace the soil.
- When repotting protect your hands!
- Use small sponge blocks to grip the cacti when removing from the pot.
- Place them in the sun, for 4-6 hours a day (mine live on the windowsill).
- You can then watch them grow and they might even flower occasionally for you!
I love cacti as they are perfect indoor plants for busy people. There are many different, shapes, sizes and types out there for you to collect, It can get very addictive!. Every year when we go on holiday to see family up in Derbyshire I mostly always end up finding a different type of cactus in one of the gorgeous garden centres up there to bring back home with me. I am running out of windowsill space!
Do you have any Cacti in your house?
If not do you have any other houseplants?