Now we are at the beginning of a new year, it’s time to revamp your New Year’s Comping Resolutions.
What are your Comping aims for the year?
Is there a specific competition or prize you would like to win? That dream holiday? Vouchers for next Christmas? or even that little diary that is just darn cute!
We all have a desire to win. My aim is to win my husband an iPad. It was the same goal last year, so I’m more determined this year to win one for him!
Why not share your competition goals for the year on Twitter with me?
Tag me @RachelBustin and use #competitiongoals I would love to read them!
I have though very hard over the Christmas period about starting up a new community on social media. One where we can all share our competition acheivements. We all know how hard it is to win nowadays.
Hard work, determination and belief all goes into entering competitions. So I’m starting up a competition winners community on Instagram and Twitter where we can all share our competition wins with everyone and give each other a boost when at times we struggle to find motivation to continue.
I set up my blog 10 months ago and have found it really hard to get ‘my blog out there’ if you know what I mean. So to make a start on my 7 Hints and Tips Thursday series for the new year I have decided to do some research and come up with my own simple hints and tips to help promote my blog in the vast spaces of the World Wide Web. These are the hints and tips I want to share with you all.
- Posts- Write high quality posts that will engage your readers. I have found the more I write the better a writer I have become. Don’t forget to reply to any comments on your posts – it’s polite to do so.
- Promote Others Content-Find similar blogs/websites to your own and retweet/comment on it. Connect with influential bloggers, you may find them retweeting one of your posts to their many thousands of followers.
- Daily Action Plans- Use tools like Buffer and Hootsuite to schedule your post tweets throughout the day. I schedule 10 tweets throughout the day, mainly that day’s post and a few of my other recent posts.
- Join Other Blog Linkies- One of my favourite parts of blogging is to link up to other blog linkies. It’s how I have discovered some of my favourite blogs. I try to link up with at least 3 a week.
My favourites are:
There are lots more out there to discover!
- Share Posts on Social Media- After each post is published I like to share them on lots of social media sites such as Twitter, my Facebook page, Instagram, Google + Pinterest. Twitter and Instagram are my favourites and where I get the most interaction. The others I need to work on!
- Social Media Buttons- I recommend including social media buttons that are easily accessible to the reader. These are very quick for the reader to share your posts or to follow you building your audience. This is one of my plans for my blog – to add social media buttons to one easy place.
- Run Competitions- I found out last year that running competitions are great ways to build up your blog views. There are lots of compers out there that will add your competition to sites such as The Prize Finder and Competition Database where lots more readers can find your blog. If you run regular competitions you will get the same readers returning time after time.
I hope some of these simple hints and tips you will find useful and apply to your own blogs. I would love to hear some of your favourite tips for promoting your own blogs. Also if anyone has any ideas that I could use to improve my blog, they would be most welcome.
My blog will be 1 year old in March so I haven’t had the opportunity yet to do a yearly goal post. So I have thought long and hard about my list for this year and what I want to achieve for my blog.
I have also added a little list at the bottom of this post of my own personal competition win goals for 2016, which is something I have never done before, but with a new baby on the way really soon and the up keep of my blog I want to be more focused in what competitions I enter to save time.
Posting: I need to be more regular at posting material to keep my readers loyal. I have got a blog planner up and running now so hopefully it will keep me on track!
Book reviews: I would love to read, review and post a book review each week.
7 Hints and Tips: I had great success with my series of 7 Hints and Tips posts last year so this is something I would love to get back into again and come up with some great fresh ideas.
Monthly Competition Wins List: When I first started blogging I used to post at the beginning of each month a list of competition wins from the previous month. This used to be my motivation for keeping up the comping. This is something I need to get back into.
My goal this year is to be more proactive in promoting my blog and posts, using tools like Buffer and Hootsuite to schedule tweets throughout the day. Post regularly on instagram and use pinterest more. I would also like to discover more blog linkups and link to these at different times throughout the week.
- Increase Twitter followers to 2k
- Increase Instagram followers to 300
- Increase Pinterest followers to 300
- Increase Bloglovin followers to 400
I would also love to increase my blog visitors to 2k per month.
Competition Goal Win List 2016
- Kindle Fire
- Love2Shop/Amazon Vouchers
- Baby bits and bobs
- Food Hampers
I would love to hear about your goals for 2016. What is on your competition win list? Or if you are a blogger what are your blogging goals for 2016?
2015 has been a very up and down year for me but there are a few things that have turned the year around. It was back in March that I started my little blog up. I had a very trying January and February so decided to take my mind off things by starting blogging. I wasn’t quite sure where my niche would be in the world of blogging, so I decided to blog about what I love to do and that is entering competitions, reading any type of book and gardening. So Book Lover, Competition Addict and Gardening Enthusiast was born. I am still not 100% happy with the name so that is something I’m going to work on this year.
I have won lots of competitions throughout this year as feel so lucky to have done so, although around the summer I took a bit of a comping break due to the severe morning sickness I had and the tiredness that crept upon me.
Which leads me on to the best part of 2015 and that was finding out I was pregnant with our first baby – a girl!
She could arrive any day now that I’m 37 weeks so the word excitement is very understated at the moment!
As soon as I hit my second trimester I began to feel so much better and had that enthusiasm to enter as many baby competitions as I could and I won quite a few great things. The biggest baby win was winning the toddler bed, it is so adorable with a bears face as the headboard. I went on to win lots of nappies, baby clothes, a couple of changing bag sets and various nappy rash creams and ointments. Not forgetting for me, a mum to be pregnancy pamper set, nursing bra, bump band and a maternity nightdress.
Before I started my maternity leave ( which officially started yesterday!) I took my 4 weeks annual holiday due to me from work which started at the beginning of December. This was perfect for me as I had lots of time to rest up and enter all the advent competitions I could find. But unfortunately I had very little luck this year and only won a set of sauces and chutneys on a Twitter advent competition. I did better winning on the ordinary competitions throughout December. These included a set of childrens books, chocolates, a case of 9BAR energy bars, a necklace and a DVD.
I wish you all lots of luck and a Happy New Year.
As all compers know, there can be times when you go through a very quiet spell with no wins at all. This has happened to me through most of July. August started off better though with a couple of Twitter wins, a facebook win and a WEM (winning email – these are very rare and when you receive one you will be jumping up in the air!).
The picture below shows some lovely packs of granola that I won on Twitter with @lizisgranola
The pink apple and cinnamon one is amazing! It’s very crunchy, with soft apple pieces and just enough cinnamon without it being overbearing. I have been taking it to work to have for breakfast with a pot of yogurt drizzled over the top. Perfect for that slow release energy needed during my pregnancy.
I won the Pregnacare vitamins and stretch cream with OK Magazine and they sent me a WEM to let me know I’d won. WEM’s are very exciting and this win has just come at the right time for me. The stretch cream is very useful at the moment as I feel myself growing!
I won the lovely book Snowflake Bay by Donna Kauffman on Facebook from the author herself. It was an international giveaway and arrived with some lovely cards from Virginia. I love looking at international stamps from packages abroad so was chuffed to bits to see this one arrive all the way from Virginia, USA. When I get through my back log of book wins I am sure you will see a review up of this on my blog and Goodreads.
This beautiful framed artwork I won with @StudioCanalUK
on Twitter is one of my most treasured competition wins. Every now and again I love to win things for my house and this is one of those special ones that will take pride of place on my wall.
I love to her about other people’s competition wins so feel free to share your stories. I think it gives everyone determination to keep on entering.